Professor Shaun-inn Wu's Home Page
Dr. Shaun-inn Wu's Home Page
Professor of Computer Science and Information Systems
For those who are interested in getting Computer Science internship credits, here is the Policy and Frequently asked questions about internships in Computer Science and Information Systems at CSUSM.
The final presentations on the senior projects completed in CIS 490 Project Management and Practice is available for viewing.
Spring 2015 Teaching Schedule (01/20/15 - 05/07/15):
For the following courses, log in Cougar Course to find more information about the course that you have registered for:
(And read the announcements in the Cougar Course several times a week during the course!)
- CS 111 Computer Science I
Textbook: Starting Out with C++ from Control Structures to Objects, Student Value Edition plus MyProgrammingLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 8/E, Tony Gaddis, 2014, Addison-Wesley, ISBN-10: 0133862232, ISBN-13: 9780133862232
Final: 07:00 - 09:00, Thursday, 05/14/2015
- CS 351 Programming Languages
Textbook: Concepts of Programming Languages, 10th ed., by Robert W. Sebesta, Pearson Education, 2012
Final: 09:15 - 11:15, Thursday, 05/14/2015
- CIS 490 Project Management and Practice
Textbook: Information Systems Project Management, Fuller et al., Pearson Education, 2008
Final: 11:30 - 13:30, Tuesday, 05/12/2015
- Office Hours: 11:45 - 13:00, R; or by appointment
No electronic inquiries about any confidential information including grades will be answered. You can access your grades through the Cougar Course and SMART systems.
Research interests include
The most recent publication:
- non-symbolic artificial intelligence such as neural networks, genetic algorithms, and data mining
- Web and mobile applications
The following is a list of completed or ongoing Masters theses and projects under Dr. Wu's supervision:
- Image Enhanced CAPTCHA for Web Security, Proceedings of the 9th Cyber and Information Security Research Conference, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee, April 8-10, 2014.
- Brent Colvin, A Variation of Semisupervised Self-Organizing
Map for Use in Classification of Gene Expression data, August 2002.
- Serif M. Avcibasioglu, Learning Java Programming by Case Studies, December 2002.
- Huiping Zheng, Financial Forecasting Using The Neural Netowrks,
- Richard Jaramillo, Evolution and Co-evolution of Vector Quantization
Codebooks for Image Compression Using Genetic Programming, May 2003.
- Hong Shen, A Codebook Generation Algorithm Enhanced by
Neural Network, July 2004.
- Yuhwa Kuo, Using Genetic Programming on Digital Watermarking,
- Jian Huang, An Application to Practice the Web Service:
MyEbay Research Web Service, May 2008.
- Nicholas McMahon, A Prototype of A Web-Based Application System for Computer Science Department at CSUSM, May 2009.
- Ho, Hieu, Improving Cognitive Factors in Securing WWW with CAPTCHA, December 2011.
- Alhajjaj, Laith, Developing an Education Application on Android, December 2012.
- Walton, Nicholas, Recurrent Neural Networks for ARIMA Forecasting, May 2013.
- Ralston, Matthew, Developing an Education Application on iPad, May 2013.
- Mao, Hui, Using Neural Network Based Algorithm for Data Analysis of Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging,May 2014
- Wang, Zhuo, Using Neural Network in Intrusion Detection System for Cloud Computing, December 2014.
- Cao, Katie, Integrating ANN with genetic algorithms for a better, more robust financial forecasting model, ongoing.
- Lucian, Christopher Scripca, Using Hierarchical Neural Networks in Recognizing Shape Prototypes, ongoing.
Some of Dr. Wu's university and community services are as follows:
- Peer Review Committees, 1999-present
- College Faculty Development Committee, 2014 - present
- Faculty Mentoring Program, 1992-present
- Computer Science Internship Coordinator, 1991-present
- Computer Science Graduate Coordinator, 2010-2013
- Academic Senator, 1991-2005
- Budget and Long-Range Planning Committee, 2003-2004
- College of Arts and Sciences Hiring Priority Committee, 2002-2003
- Academic Policy and Procedure Committee, 2000-2002
- University Retention, Tenure, and Promotion Committee, 2000-2002
- University Visioning Committee, 1999-2000
- Department Chair of Computer Science, 1994-1998
- Paper Reviewers for IEEE Software and IEEE Transaction on Neural Networks
- Program Committee Member, AoM/IAoM International Conference
on Computer Science
- Program Committee Member, International Conference on Software Engineering
- Program Committee Member, International Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks
Dr. Wu received BS in Mathematics
from Soochow University, MS in
University of Texas at El Paso, MS and
Ph.D. in Computer Science from
New Mexico State University. Dr. Wu taught at
Computer Science Department of
University of Minnesota, Morris for
several years before joining CSUSM in 1991. Dr. Wu had been Chair of Computer
Science Department at California State University San Marcos from 1994 to 1998.
Dr. Wu also worked as a senior system
and software analyst in computer industry for several years prior to
full-time teaching and has been a consultant to local computer industry.
Computer Science and Information Systems Home Page
Comments and Suggestions
More information about the
Computer Science and Information Systems Department
(C) Copyright 2007 Computer Science Department, CSUSM
Contact Dr. Shaun-inn Wu
at (760) 750-4079 with questions or suggestions for Dr. Wu's homepage.